Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Happiness Project





So, one of my resolutions for this year has been maintaining a Happiness Jar. And I'm proud of the fact that I'm still at it! Yes, each day no matter how dull and sad some of them maybe, you need to write one tiny thing that you were happy or thankful for. If your day was all low, well then select the thing that made the day less bleak for you. It wasn't easy for me, but I'm doing it. And bit by bit, my jar is filling up along with the happiness factor that I'm experiencing in my life. I would definitely suggest the Happiness Jar for everyone. Not only is it worth your time and effort, but you can notice a subsequent increase in your positivity level while going through some of your old notes. I'm saving my reading for the end of the year. 

Anyway, what I noticed was when I started this project was that it was always the small things that brought me happiness. You don't really have to travel someplace new or experience a breath taking moment everyday. Happiness is in the smile of a loved one, finding a new book by your favorite author or in enjoying a slab of chocolate all by yourself. Here are some of the things that make me a very very happy person:

1. Reading - I cannot stress on the importance of reading in my life. No matter where I go or who I'm with, I always have a book in hand. Even a visit to the doctor has me carrying a book with me (I prefer it to the tattered copies of magazines in the waiting room). Reading helps me to see the world from another view. It helps me in understanding the human psyche better. In short, I cannot imagine a day without a book by my side!

2. Writing - Writing is a new found passion that I'm relishing bit by bit. Each day, I improve as a writer. Though I'm far from being called a disciplined writer, I hope to get there soon. Thanks to blogging and all the wonderful people that I have met in this journey and their constant encouragement, the writer in me is gaining confidence in what I conceive and create. Though still far from being labelled perfect, writing gives me a satisfaction like none other. 

3. Cooking - I have studied home science in school long back and loved cooking. I used to love whipping up small treats and desserts in my spare time. However, cooking became monotonous as the grown up life settled in. But to my pleasure, I recently rediscovered the joys of cooking. As a result of constantly eating out, my body began to suffer. I decided to cook those dishes at home that I crave. All those cooking experiments turned out quite successful and as a result of constant encouragement from my friends, I decided to create a food blog! Chocolates, sugar and all things nice was created a while back to post some of those recipes that I make. It is still a work in progress and I'm planning to write more over there. So, if you are foodie, do give me a visit there. I promise, the recipes will be super quick, easy to make and delicious to eat!

4. Going for long drives - Don't you just love those long drives without the hassles of traffic but just the person you love and beautiful music in the background? I do. Which is why I love going for these aimless drives with my guy. Sometimes, we rarely have a destination in mind, but like I always say, isn't the journey that's important?

5. Spending time with the tiny tots in my life - I just love kids. Spending time and playing with them makes sure that the kid in me is kept alive. Seeing such pure innocence in all its glory is a miracle in itself. Children never fail to amaze me, we can learn so much from these tiny ones who takes each day and instance as it comes. Be it my little nieces and nephews or the kids of my friends, I cherish those moments spend in their company. 

6. Catching up on TV shows - I have become a TV show junkie, thanks to the likes of Friends, Grey's Anatomy, Dexter and Castle. I love to watch these shows in the name of 'research'! Who am I kidding here? I'm addicted and it makes me happy. These shows are not just all drama and fun, but has also taught me a lot about life in general. Of course, it fuels my already over active imagination. So, that's just an added bonus. 

7. Travelling - I love to travel to new places. Eating exotic cuisines, discovering beautiful hideaways, buying small mementos to carry back home those memories. Though I haven't been able to do much travelling the past year, I certainly hope to do some this year. Well, even a weekend getaway would be perfect to rejuvenate your body and soul. Maybe it's because that I'm a voracious reader, I enjoy even those long flights that take hours and hours to reach. 

8. Eating good food - Being a die hard foodie, I love to eat and savor different recipes. Home cooked food by my Mom is a weakness that reminds me that not all is bad with the world. My Mom is an excellent cook and I love stuffing my face with all that she makes. Since I'm watching my waist line, I refrain from eating junk food nowadays. But if you offer me a plate of creamy pasta, I would probably have a hard time saying NO. 

9. Watching Oprah - Oprah Winfrey is a woman that I constantly look up to. Her shows are an inspiration. It is an instant pick-me-up whenever I'm lacking motivation. Oprah has just gone on to prove that nothing is impossible, as long as you put your heart in it. Her 'Super Soul Sunday' episodes are definitely food for the soul. Watch them if you haven't already. 

10. Shopping - Shopping is another weakness that I indulge in occasionally. Though the majority of my money is spent on hoarding books, I absolutely love my shoes and purses. What's a girl without some bling? I'm a huge fan of anything colourful, so my clothes and accessories often tend to reflect that. I have received a lot of flak for that, but I couldn't be less bothered. I will have a lifelong love affair with colours and life is so much more interesting in all those different shades. 

This post has been written for Coca-Cola India (http://CokeURL.com/96jnc).

6 comments:

  1. Happiness Jar... Loved that idea...
    I also started writing one liners in my diary from this year... stating one important moment on that day... Could be anything except sad one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Satya! Do try writing those thoughts on small pieces of paper and making a jar :) The idea is to exactly continue what you are doing now in a different way.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea of Happiness Jar. On a apiritual context it will be called a Blessings Jar. We have a song very popular with kids at church...I grew up singing this..it is called 'Count your blessings name them one by one..' . More or less the idea is the same. Helps us to shed the past and appreciate the good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! You can customize it and call it whatever you want. That's the general idea. But in the end what matters is how satisfied and happy it makes you. It is also a gratitude jar for me. Potato, potahto!

      Delete
  3. Happiness jar is a brilliant idea. I would like try it one day. Keep up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiness Jar, a nice concept indeed! Liked your post :)

    A Rat's Nibble - I Am Happy!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...